Sunday, May 24, 2009

He Was Pushed


This story is just too good (funny) not to share.

"Chen Fuchao, a man heavily in debt, had been contemplating suicide on a bridge in southern China for hours when a passer-by came up, shook his hand -- and pushed him off the ledge."

Calm down, the jumper didn't die, there was an inflatable cushion on the ground under him so he ended up with spine and elbow injuries instead of his head squashed on the pavement like a watermelon.  If he had died, I would never have posted this.  I'm sick but not THAT sick!

This is a semi-regular occurrence in Seattle, with the bridge of choice among the suicidal being the Aurora bridge.  And it almost inevitably is during rush-hour traffic causing some frustrated commuters to holler "JUMP" at the suicidal individual trying to decide if they do indeed want to go through with it.  The man in China who pushed the jumper off immediately made me think of the Aurora bridge traffic snarls the last time this happened and if any of the people who yelled "JUMP" would really have gone so far as to push the poor guy off the bridge.

I sure hope not.

But it's still funny.  Since the guy didn't die and all...

6 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

I read this last night online, too, and thought the same thing.

MOM #1 said...

Mom #2 read me this story a couple of days ago. I hate to admit it, but we both had tears in our eyes from laughing so long and hard. We didn't even know that the poor guy lived, and we were still laughing. So I guess we are that sick, LOL.

Jason, as himself said...

Do you read Hula Girl at Heart? Very tragic; her sister-in-law actually recently committed suicide by jumping off a bridge, and it took them 8 or 9 days to find her.

I'm sorry, I know this post was meant to be light hearted. This is what it reminded me of though.

Okay. I'll stop being Debbie Downer.

Frogdancer said...

That guy must have been so sick of being in traffic jams.
I saw this in the paper a day or two ago and had to smile.

Shelly... said...

That was the craziest story!

Christy said...

Ahahahaha...he may not have died...but yes, you are that sick! It's one of the things I love about you!