Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Auntie Rocks

I love being an Aunt. Spending time with my nieces and nephews is one of my favorite pastimes. Unfortunately most of them live out of town or out of state so I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. The two newest additions to the family are my brother's little girls who are 2 years old and 3 months old. They were in town over the weekend and I made a complete fool out of myself talking baby-talk and smooshing their cheeks with kisses.

Aren't they adorable?!? I will hug them and kiss them and squeeze them and call them George. 2 yo. niece has recently started sucking on her fingers, quite probably in response to the small pink animal her parents brought home from the hospital and refuse to return. Luckily she has not forgotten how to smile for the camera...

Can't start reading to them too young. I hate reading aloud except for books that rhyme. (Weird, I know.) So I read Go Dog, Go by Dr. Seuss to them. My kids heard a lot of Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein when they were small because that's all I would read to them. I'm a mean, selfish bitch of a mother.


I took non-broken son and 2 yo. niece to a little park that is within walking distance of my Mom's house and they had a great time on the playground. 2 yo. had to do EVERYTHING her big cousin did and he was incredibly patient and gentle with her from going down the slide with her on his lap to helping her climb the ladders. She called him "silly boy" and they had such a good time goofing around together. I think of the twins as being my babies but watching them with their baby cousins makes me realize how big they are getting.

The best part about being an aunt? I didn't have to deal with 2 yo. niece's temper tantrum before dinner or 3 month old niece's dirty diapers and nursing AND I got to go home and sleep through the night.

Nirvana.

No comments: